Victims Without Indefinite Leave to Remain

If your relationship with a British citizen or someone settled in the UK has broken down because of domestic violence, you may be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (permission to stay in the UK permanently).

The ‘no recourse to public funds’ policy is a general rule for most people who apply to come to the UK. The policy is based on the principle that people without a permanent right to remain in the UK should not have the same access to benefits as British citizens.

The government’s immigration policy is clear that migrants coming to the UK should be able to provide for themselves financially without relying on benefits from the state. However, the government is aware of the difficulties victims of domestic violence face, in particular those who can’t access public funds.

Because of this, the government provides help to these victims who have been admitted to the UK with leave as spouses, unmarried partners or civil partners of a British citizen, or of a non-citizen who is settled in the UK.

This allows domestic violence victims to apply for indefinite leave to remain in their own right, if they have been victims of domestic violence during the first 2 years of that relationship.

How to apply

From 26 May 2021, customers applying for indefinite leave to remain on the grounds that they are the victim of domestic violence or abuse (DV) will be required to attend a SSC in order to enrol their biometrics.

Please see the leaflet below for more information including links to the Home Office application website