Key Contacts

Key points for professionals when making domestic abuse enquiries
  •  Ask everyone, Ask early, and Keep asking – it may take a while to build trust

  • Don't ask when the potential perpetrator is in the room or nearby
  • Do not use family members or members of the victim or abuser’s community as translators
  • Don’t ask just as a tick box exercise – show genuine interest

  • Ask open questions

  • Don’t sideline domestic abuse as not as important as other issues

  • Respond positively – believe them, always

  • Respond appropriately – ask what they would like you to do, ensure you know about signposting options

  • Follow up – don’t assume that it has gone away because you asked


For professionals working with Vulnerable Adults/Adults at Risk, you will need to follow 


For professionals working with Children and Young People, please see:

Are you a professional needing advice about domestic abuse in relation to a client or patient?
You can email the Duty IDVA idva.referrals@cambridgeshire.gov.uk and someone will email you back
To contact the Health IDVA call 07713 919229 or email idvacambs@nhs.net
These contacts are for professionals only
IDVA services are based at the MASH at Godmanchester and the Victim and Witness Hub in Peterborough.  IDVAs deal with high risk cases only.  See the 'Downloads and Resources' page for referral forms.
Outreach services are delivered aross the county - these take the form of advice and information, support groups and peer support and are availble to both male and female victims.  Victims can self-refer to these services and the service will assess their suitability against what they can offer. 
For Cambridge City/South Cambs/East Cambs call Cambridge Women's Aid on 01223 361214 and for Hunts, Peterborough & Fenland call Refuge on 07787 255821.
Peterborough Women's Aid continue to operate a refuge in Peterborough for women and children fleeing domestic abuse.  The contact number for the refuge is 01733 894964.
ISVA services (Sexual Violence) are provided countywide by Cambridge Rape Crisis and Peterborough Rape Crisis.  For information and how to make a referral, please visit http://www.caprcp.org.uk/