If you are in a relationship, you should feel happy, respected and loved – this is a healthy relationship. But if you feel scared, isolated or like you are being controlled, you may be in an abusive relationship.
If you or a friend is in an abusive relationship, you might recognise some of the following:
- Do you feel scared when your boyfriend or girlfriend is around?
- Have they threatened you?
- Do they insist on knowing where you have been and who you have talked to?
- Do they check your phone to see who you’ve called or text?
- Do they call you names or put you down in front of other people?
- Have you felt pressured to have sex or do things you don’t want to?
- Are you discouraged from spending time with your friends?
- Does your boyfriend or girlfriend criticize what you wear?
On the right are links to some sites that can help